The current track located at the end of Racing Road opened on August 12, 1972. A crowd of over 3500 people kicked off one of Quesnel’s greatest recreational success stories, as the club and racing in the entire area have continued to grow. The present location is actually the third location for the club and the first paved track. This track was built with only the help and support of many Quesnel residents and businesses, donating time money and machinery to make construction possible.
Racing started in Quesnel about 1955, with the first dirt track situated on the present site of LeBourdais Park. Some of the well-known residents who raced at that time were Carl Enemark, Don Sales Sr., Bill Sales, Bob Waif, Ron Peebles, Jack Rltson and Dennis Styan, just to name a few. It was this half-mile dirt track that first put Quesnel on the racing map. Cars traveled from all over BC and Alberta to race on this track.
The second dirt track was located on Two Mile Flat, just behind the Redi-Mix Plant. Longtime racing fans will remember exciting racing with drivers such as Jack Hartnett, Barry Chadwick, Art Ransome, Stu Brears, Wayne Shaver, Tommy Irvine, and many more. It was on this track that “stocker” class cars were first started with drivers such as Ab Giesbrecht, Don McLure and Don Sales Jr.
At the present time, the club runs Street and Mini Stock classes during regular race meets.